Wednesday, April 18, 2012

ENGINE WORK

REBAK MARINA, LANGKAWI MALAYSIA

So as I've said before working on engines is not my speciality. Looking back when I was in high school it would have been much more beneficial to me in my current lifestyle if I had nothing but shop type classes rather than college prep math, chemistry etc. etc. hey you can't argue with Mom and Dad. So I'm learning on the job.

It was no problem taking things apart. Everything was cleaned, wire brushed by me and then painted by Kathy. My friend Jack came by and helped with the installation of the new rear main oil seal. It was a real bugger but we managed and I learned a lot. Next to bolt things back together. Hey it's just the reverse of taking things apart.

The bell housing is back on. The flywheel is fitted, The bolts are in place and I am using my new torque wrench so as not to make a mistake and break something. You guessed it I managed to snap off a bolt. Not being St. Patricks day I still had a bit of luck and was able to remove the other bolts and find that I could also remove the broken one. Getting new ones was no problem!! A ferry ride, then a visit to three hardware store and I had not only new bolts for the flywheel but also for the rest of the engine installation stuff. Now the new bolts, nuts, lock washers and a set of taps to clean out the threads cost 98 RM or $35 US. The taxi ride cost $45 US!!!

Kathy went along on the adventure to buy some other provisions and then while waiting for our return ferry trip to the marina area we got some lovely take away food along with my requisite number of beers for all of 25 RM or about $8 US. It seems our biggest cost is in transport.

Tomorrow it's back in the engine room and hope that things go well.

----------
radio email processed by SailMail
for information see: http://www.sailmail.com

No comments: