Saturday, June 16, 2012

PLUGGING AWAY


Danga Bay Marina

It's a bit over a week since Kathy has returned to the states for shopping and grand babies. I get to stay and fuss over my favorite baby, Miss Perky, our faithful auxiliary engine. In this part of the world which seems to lack an important ingredient for sail boats,WIND, Miss Perky has been our primary manner of propulsion.
On our trip down from Langkawi we developed a coolant leak, such that as soon as I filled the heat exchanger it was seen to be dripping out the front. The front oil seal was another problem  along with the rear main oil seal, that we had just re-done in Langkawi. So my first order of business was the front of Miss Perky. Perhaps a bit of liposuction!! OK just pull the freshwater pump apart and replace seals and bearings. Not so easy as it seemed half the engine had to come apart ,well I did need to get to the front oil seal too.




Lots to dismantle. Exhaust manifold/ heat exchanger, oil cooler, alternator, thermostat housing, etc. etc. Now I don't claim tohave much mechanical knowledge but I can take most anything apart.

 Lots of pieces and most need cleaning and new paint.


 On dismantling the water pump I found the bearings worn and the seal almost non existent the shaft scored so as to not take a new seal. Off to find a machine shop! Ten or more places of business later I finally located someone to do the work. Two days and 80 RM later, $28 US, A new shaft was turned on a lathe, bearings and seals pressed back in and Miss Perky had a new freshwater pump.


 Next it was the removal of the various pulleys on the front of the engine to access the oil seal. I managed to borrow a few necessary tools from a fellow yachtie and soon had more parts to clean, paint ant re-install.




THE COLOR IS GOING BACK TO PERKINS BLUE


I'm sure all the new paint will make things run better. Today I finished putting most all of the parts back on the front end. There is still a raw water pump to be re-built before it goes back on, I'll head back to the same machinist, along with some other stuff. It's useless to do to much as next is the back of the engine and then deal with alignment issues. Hey aren't you glad you didn't ask. 


Tonight was voucher night, meaning I got fifty RM worth of food at a local restaurant. I'm stuffed!! A great burger and fries, then a pizza to go, lunch tomorrow, a beer , 46 RM. Now back on the boat a rum as I write for my fans. I'm sure there must be some out there! Tomorrow it's back to twisting wrenches as I remove the transmission, bell housing, starter, flywheel, etc to get at that pesky rear oil seal. Hey at least the parts were all cleaned and painted two months ago so I won't have to deal with that.

Stay tuned for the next installment, there may be more then just engine work.

No comments: