Sunday, March 26, 2017

JUST A MINOR PROBLEM

27 Mar. 2017
0930 Local
Position: 07° 20.28 N 134° 27.07 E
Moored, Palau

I guess having had a day of fun has inspired me to do a bit of updating for you faithful followers of my writing. Previously I had mentioned a minor difficulty with Miss Perky on her re-installation. It began with a leaky fitting on the mixing elbow of the exhaust system. On a marine engine salt water is used to cool the coolant in the heat exchanger, a radiator on a car. This water is then mixed in an elbow with the exhaust gases and passed out through the back of the boat. Miss Perky's exhaust elbow was cast aluminum with brass fittings for the hose, not the best in a saltwater environment but the way it had been for years. I removed the leaking fitting and after applying new pipe joint compound it was reattached. A new leak had developed!! A crack had opened up in the mixing elbow and we had a steady drip. As a temporary fix I sanded the area and applied a coat of Marine-Tex epoxy repair putty but this could only be for the short term. Replacement parts for Miss Perky are difficult to source but I did find a possible one in the states. My other thought was that possibly that our mechanic, Jim, could perhaps fabricate a replacement. Jim came to the boat to look and yes he could come up with a suitable replacement using an stainless elbow from a Northern Lights generator and having a new flange made up to connect to our exhaust manifold. It took a short time but I got it installed in time for our day of sailing.



NOT AN INTENDED SELFI BUT TO SHOW THE CRACK

NEW MIXING ELBOW AND FLANGE

----------
radio email processed by SailMail
for information see: http://www.sailmail.com

No comments: