Sunday, November 8, 2015

SOMETHING NEW FOR THE LIST

Ocean View Marina
Samal Island, Davao
Mindanao, Philippines

Another week and more progress, even though we have added what could turn in to a major bit of work. During the last days we have noticed some new leakage, water drips along some of the interior areas of the cabin, especially in the galley area. We have had some in the past and believed that they were fixed. It now does not seem so and our best belief is the leaks are coming from the brow rail fastened around the outside of the cabin.

BROW RAIL AND LOTS OF FASTENERS
 There are screws behind each of those plugs visible in the rail and they all go thru the fiberglass. The seam along the top holds water and then the water finds it's way in. Tomorrow Gilbert, the carpenter, starts on removing plugs along with the rail itself and it can then hopefully have the screw holes filled with epoxy and be re-fastened. More on that next week depending on how big a can of worms are opened in the removal.

Monday the first job was adding a bit of gas to one of the refrigeration systems as things were not being kept cold enough. Ta-Ta continued on filling holes in the mast with threaded aluminum rod.
Kathy was busy on the computer ordering things to be sent from the states in our next Balikbayan box. I added another layer of fiberglass material over the removed thru hulls.

Tuesday, I'm off to the city to once again talk to the doctor about my sore knee. First it was meeting with Ta-Ta and Ickway the painter regarding primer for the bare aluminum and what was the painting schedule. I had purchased a gallon of the primer and Ickway thought that was just enough so I decided to get another half gallon while I was in town just to make sure. A trip to town takes a minimum of four hours. Next it was off to the hospital and visit the doctor in the clinic. My knee was better since the steroid injection but still not right. Next according to the doctor was to schedule an MRI to see if there was other damage besides the arthritis. MRI scheduled for tomorrow and then results on Thursday morning so my next days will be going in to the city.

Wednesday the painters are sanding, filling and applying primer. I go to the city for my MRI. As we are on an island across from the city we first travel in a van from the marina to the ferry dock then across the bay to the main island of Mindanao and then taxi or local jeepney to your desired location

FERRY HEADING THE OTHER WAY

DIVERSE VEHICLES

OUR LANDING SPOT

OUR LANDING SPOT

READY TO DEPART

My taxi to the hospital is about $ 4 US, a jeepney would be about $.50. I used to take jeepney's till my knee problems, lately it's been taxi's. The jeepneys are not designed for large size folks. The MRI was completed and tomorrow I get to make the trip again to get the results. Cost of MRI 11,000 FP or about $ 270 US.

Thursday it was back to the city and hospital for the MRI results. Meanwhile the work on painting the mast and boom continued

SANDING AND FILLING

YO-YO SANDS AND ICKWAY SPRAYING PRIMER

THEY HAVE A SHADY WORK AREA

FIRST COAT OF WHITE PRIMER
My MRI results show no other tissue damage just the arthritic condition. For now something to live with as I did for years with my hips before their replacement surgeries.


Friday and Saturday I was back to work on the seacocks. Dismantling, cleaning, lubing and re-installing

Kathy's week was taking care of my feeding, laundry, supervising the workers and a shopping trip.

Here are some views of the Chinatown area of Davao

JEEPNEY AND SOON TO BE RIDERS

BUSY STREET

LOCAL TYPE HARDWARE STORE

EATERY

SHOP AFTER SHOP WITH THE SAME MERCHANDISE

THEY REPAIR HYDRAULIC SYSTEMS










No comments: