Sunday, November 15, 2015

SUNDAY IS UPDATE DAY!!

Ocean View Marina
Samal Island, Davao
Mindanao, Philippines

Here we go again with an update of the weeks progress, at least it was forward progress. For those of you who notice small things this update is by sailmail as tonight's internet is terrible. Hopefully I will then be able to add the photos.

First the mast, boom and assorted parts are finished. We now wait for the paint, Allgrip, to fully cure before putting things back together. Ickway, the painter, said three weeks would be best. No complaints here, there is plenty to do in the mean time.

The week began with another trip to Davao for me while Kathy stays on the boat to supervise the work. My first stop was "Johnny Air" to inquire about getting things here faster than in the Balikbayan box that comes via sea. $6.50 US per pound and that takes care of customs. Items arrive here in approximately 2 weeks. We placed an order today of an odd sized item that would not fit in a box, time will tell. Next stop was a health foods store as after internet research I decided to start on a supplement program for the arthritic knee. I also needed to mail some papers to the US coast Guard as it seems our documentation had expired. Alfredo made good progress on the removal of the brow rail and there ere lots of text messages between Kathy and I regarding what was being done. I also bought assorted fasteners for re-installing the mast hardware.

Tuesday, I love making trips to Davao!! Today it was for the fasteners that Alfredo and Gilbert would need to re-install the brow rail.
Progress is fast so I just need to keep up with what the carpenters need. It would be a lot easier if a trip for fasteners did not take most of the day but we are moving forward.

Wednesday we decided to also look at removing the cabin top hand rails, perhaps a can of worms but as we are so involved with fixing leaks we may as well take care of any potential problems. We, the carpenters and I, managed to remove the hand rails though they were fastened a bit different than I had assumed. There is that word, ass of you and me. We managed to figure it out and what was needed to do the re-install. Another trip to Davao for more and different fasteners.

Did I say how much I enjoy the trip to Davao. Back again I went on Thursday, at least I know where to go. Kathy supervising and the Boy's
make good progress.

Friday, I get to stay at home and continue with my work on the seacocks. Just another little problems has reared it's head. the refer box is not as cold as it should be!1 It appears to be low on gas and I cannot find a leak. We're out of gas so that means another Davao trip!!!.Hey at least I can buy refrigeration stuff here, in the US I would have to be a certified technician.

Saturday, the carpenters are busy, Kathy is supervising and I am making an afternoon trip to Davao to get refrigeration gas. It's been a busy week but we continue to move forward.

Today, I gassed systems and as I write the plates are getting cold, if only I could find the problem leak. At least all is moving forward which is what we need to meet our goal of leaving the Philippines in March 2016.

----------
radio email processed by SailMail
for information see: http://www.sailmail.com

No comments: